Being makers of things, one of our most important assets is our ‘creative productivity’. In this case, our ability to actually create new things through doing; through taking action, not just thinking about it.
To counteract this, we so often come against various blocks in energy and enthusiasm that hamper such efforts. Abounding in creative productivity is, therefore massively valuable, and it is in our best interests to see it thrive consistently within us.
I’m going boldly ahead by saying that there are guaranteed ways that you can achieve increased creativity and productivity in various ways through making small adjustments. These are all ideas I’ve gathered through personal experience and through the feedback of others. Each case is simple, straightforward cause and effect.
I will keep it short and refrain from explaining each point, not because I can’t be bothered, but because I want this post to be all about taking quick action and seeing the results for yourself (you guys are also no fools!). Yes, many of these we hear about day in, day out, but here are some key ones all in one place, that make quick changes.
Here are 26 in no order: (Taking action on just one can make a big change. I’m not saying give them all up!)
1. Quit coffee and caffeine
2. Drink more water more regularly
3. Take brisk walks
4. Quit dairy products
6. Treat yourself with hot baths and massage more often
8. Give yourself deadlines
9. Try more new things that scare you a little
10. Quit smoking
11. De-clutter your surroundings, especially work environment
12. Shift your dietary balance to plant-based foods
13. Wake up early (I thought I was a night owl, but doing this has made a huge difference)
14. Exercise a little or a lot every day
15. Quit alcohol
16. Get over yourself and actively be more positive
17. Improve the quality of other people’s lives
18. Quit sugar
19. Regularly self massage
20. Read before bed
21. Take 5 slow deep breaths when you feel off
22. Say no to time-wasters and stress-inducers
23. Think less
24. Allow yourself a few minutes to get angry or complain daily, then get over it
25. Eat more Omega-3s
26. Make use of solitude
Aldous Huxley once said:
“The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude.”
That’s 26 things that I know will make a big difference to your creative productivity, but also everything else that will make you simply feel good. I’m not expecting you (or me for that matter) to take action on all of them, and yup, some might be seen as pretty drastic changes by some of you. But those are the ones that will create the most noticeable shifts.
Now go ahead, and make cool things.