We’ve all heard about the how great it is for your career or business to set goals, right? I’m a little sick of hearing about them personally.
The thing is though, they really are important, and really can get you some awesome achievements if you stick to them. But how to stick to them? Sometimes it’s hard to motivate ourselves towards goals.
The reason for this is probably that you haven’t set your goal posts wide enough, and you’re simply not aiming for something that moves you. Another reason could be that, even though you’ve set yourself a big goal, deep down you lack the belief that the goal really is for you.
To get round this, and to really motivate you, create a ‘career-shifter goal’.
This is a major goal that, were you to achieve it, it would noticeably change your own career for the good. Such a goal might be to write a best-selling book, get on the radio, work with a particular dream client, and so on.
This is the kind of goal that will re-kindle any sense of excitement you have about what you do.
Spend some time thinking about the goal. Make sure the prospect of achieving it is something that really excites you and make sure it has a specific deadline. Often this one goal will help you reach other goals associated with your business too.
Here are some more ‘career-shifter’ goal ideas:
- Have a solo gallery exhibition of your work by Sept 13th 2013
- Host an event by 1st January 2015
- Sell 50 products in a month by March 1st 2014
- Win a BAFTA by January 30th 2017
- Write a newspaper article by Sept 1st 2014
- Work with a fortune 500 company by February 3rd 2015
- Get 5000 hits on YouTube by December 24th 2012
- Receive fanmail by July 23rd 2016
Best of luck! What career-shifter goals will you set?